MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENTS TO JOIN THE AMERICAN LEGION
IMPORTANT: EVERYONE MUST SUBMIT A COPY OF
DD 214 OR DISCHARGE PAPERS
Eligible veterans applying for first time membership must submit the following information to Post 88 Adjudant:
1. Complete the American Legion Membership application form, available online or at the Post. Get online via "APPLICATION" in Menu Listing. Click on the Submit button for an online application form.
2. COPY OF DD214 OR DISCHARGE PAPERS
3. Post Adjudant will contact you, and If the information is correct, membership will be approved and a membership card will be mailed to you. Dues payment requirements will be explained.
4. See eligibility dates below, which are in accordance with the American Legion Act of 2019
Veterans applying for transfers from your current Post to our Post must submit the following:
a. Completed Member Data Form.
b. COPY OF DD214 OR DISCHARGE
c. COPY OF MEMBERSHIP CARD
5. Membership dues payment will be required if current year dues are not paid. If current dues are paid, please pay dues for next year's membership.
MEMBERSHIP ELIGIBILTY in the American Legion is based on honorable service for at least one day of active military duty during one of the dates below and honorably discharged or still serving honorably, with the U. S. Armed Forces for at least between:
April 6, 1917 -November 11, 1918 (World War I)
December 7, 1941 - continuing
Because eligibility dates remain open, all veterans and members of the U.S. Armed Forces are now eligible to join The American Legion until the date of the end of hostilities as determined by the government of the United States.
For any questions please contact our Post 88 Commander, or other officers, or stop at the Post located at the VFW at 4301 Pughsville Rd, Suffolk, VA 23435