MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENTS TO JOIN THE AMERICAN LEGION
IMPORTANT: EVERYONE MUST SUBMIT A COPY OF
DD 214 OR DISCHARGE.
Eligible veterans applying for first time membership must submit the following information to Post 88 Adjudant:
1. Complete the American Legion Membership application form, available online or at the Post. Get online via "APPLICATION" in Menu Listing. Click on the Submit button for an online application form.
2. COPY OF DD214 OR DISCHARGE
3. Post Adjudant will contact you, and If the information is correct, membership will be approved and a membership card will be mailed to you. Dues payment requirements will be explained.
4. See eligibility dates below.
Veterans applying for transfers from your current Post to our Post must submit the following:
a. Completed Member Data Form.
b. COPY OF DD214 OR DISCHARGE
c. COPY OF MEMBERSHIP CARD
5. Membership dues payment will be required if current year dues are not paid. If current dues are paid, please pay dues for next year's membership.
MEMBERSHIP ELIGIBILTY in the American Legion is based on honorable service for at least one day of active military duty during one of the dates below and honorably discharged or still serving honorably, with the U. S. Armed Forces for at least between:
(April 6, 1917 -November 11, 1918) World War I
(December 7, 1941 - December 31, 1946) World War II
(June 25, 1950 - January 31, 1955) Korean War
(February 28, 1961 - May 7, 1975) Vietnam War
(August 24, 1982 - July 31,1984) Lebanon/Grenada
(December 20, 1989 - January 31, 1990) Operation Just Cause
(August 2, 1990 - Today)* Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm
Because eligibility dates remain open, all members of the U.S. Armed Forces are eligible to join The American Legion at this time, until the date of the end of hostilities as determined by the government of the United States.
For any questions please contact our Post 88 Commander, or other officers, or stop at the Post located at the VFW at 4301 Pughsville Rd, Suffolk, VA 23435